Monday, August 15, 2005

Andrew's first trip to the ER hopefully his last

This weekend was a nightmare.Once again, Andrew's cough and cold came back in full swing which kept us awake for 2 nights. I literally was in the verge of tears because i was extremely exhausted and he just wanted to be held, i tried to let pj take over but Andrew's cries just got louder. He finally went to sleep around 6:30am Sunday morning but ofcourse woke up 2 hours later, coughing. My mom in law tried to console him but that didn't work either. I feel so bad for the in-laws because we usually sleep over there on the weekends and it seems that he get sicks most of the time in the weekends..
Sunday came, Pj's nephew and bro woke up that made andrew happy! FINALLY. He likes little kids..he started laughing and coughing at the same time. I took a quick nap and was woken up by his screams, he was screaming because everyone was eating and they weren't giving him.
Around noon his cough got worse and he started breathing rapidly...then he started weezing. I couldn't believe it, my baby boy got asthma. I woke Pj up to call the doctor, he ofcourse started to panic. His doctor wasn't on call so we spoke to the nurse and she made my husband panic even more, she told him to call 911. While all this is happening my son is laughing away at the phone.
I told pj 911 could take longer so we drove over. I've never been to this hospital, but i'm pretty impressed. Since we changed insurance, our new insurance has its own hospital and medical centers. They've got 2 ERs one for just children's i guess that is why the service is pretty fast. The doctor came, diagnosed him as having an asthma attack due to his cough, the nurses were trying to get his blood pressure and temperature and he was juz smiling happily at them as if nothing is wrong with him.My little charmer.
Doctor started asking question like who smokes,who's got asthma and my hubby replied all of the above as if he's proud of it..which i promptly frowned at him and he swore he'll quit smoking as of now.The nurse gave him oral medicine which he spat out the nurse's face. I wanted to laugh so badly. The nurse made me give him the medicine the 2nd time.She's smart! The nurse held him down while i try to make him swallow it,right after he swallowed i gave him a bottle..hey i'm smart too.They thought me how to use a nebulizer but i already knew that since i used to babysit a baby who had asthma. The problem bout it, was just keeping him steady through out the whole 15 minutes.
He still was breathing a little heavy after the first dose so we had to do it again.After that he felt much better..he was even happier now.Doctor made us buy our own nebulizer which i ofcourse thought with the medicine would cost us a pretty large sum but surprisingly enough everything was below 50 bucks.

What a weekend..i finally got some sleep so did my baby boy.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home